Motor Registration Division is the agency responsible for issuing Canadian id card. The identification card is accepted for all purposes for which proof of identification is required under any act of this province, such as purchase of liquor, cigarettes, etc

Enquire Now


Buy Canadian ID card,Driver’s licences and photo identification cards are now printed at a central location and mailed to clients using a central issuance system, instead of being printed on demand at Motor Registration Division offices. More information about the enhanced security features of your new driver’s licence or ID card is available id card holder online

In order to qualify for a photo identification card, you must be a resident of this province.

Any person who is taking up residency in Newfoundland & Labrador, who originates from outside of Canada, and who is applying for an identification card must provide proof of their legal presence in Canada, with one primary proof of legal presence and one secondary document or two primary documents (one of which must be an acceptable document for proof of legal presence) as listed within each category below.

Any person who is a Canadian resident will need two pieces of identification, with at least one being an original primary document and the second an original secondary document as listed within each category below:


Valid Foreign Passport with appropriate immigration documents
Permanent Resident Card or Immigration papers – Record of Landing
Study or Work Permit
Canadian Citizenship Card
Temporary Resident Permit
Secure Certificate of Indian Status Card (with photograph)
Valid Canadian Passport


Government issued Birth Certificate¹
Valid Canadian Passport
Canadian Armed Forces Identification Card
Municipal, Provincial or Federal Police Force Identification
Federal Firearms Identification Card
Photo Identification Card issued by the Motor Registration Division
¹ if the name on the birth certificate is not your current name, you will require another original of documents such as a marriage certificate which specifies your current name.


Baptismal Certificate (with church seal)
Marriage Certificate
Social Insurance Card
Credit Card
School Identification Card (photograph: Newfoundland and Labrador schools only)
Government Identification Card (Newfoundland and Labrador)
Photo Drivers Licence from another Canadian jurisdiction
MCP Card
Health Care Board Card (Newfoundland and Labrador only)
or other documentation satisfactory to the Registrar
You may produce two pieces of identification from the primary list but WE CANNOT ACCEPT TWO PIECES OF IDENTIFICATION FROM THE SECONDARY LIST.

If you are married and wish to have your married name on your photo id card, you must also have your marriage certificate with you. The ID card is valid for a 5 year period at a fee of $25.


The airlines in Canada are asking for photo identification from passengers. Some Newfoundlanders and Labradorians are out of province and do not have such identification. At times, they are seeking assistance from Motor Registration Division to obtain photo identification. Here’s what to do:

Always check with the airlines to confirm they will accept the following.

When out of province, have a set of passport photos taken at any commercial location. Take the photos to a justice of the peace, notary public, commissioner of oaths or any other duly authorized person for certification. This will involve presentation of appropriate documents such as birth certificate, social insurance card, MCP identification, etc.

Any additional information:

NB All the required documents should be scanned and sent to Fees must be paid before we process your documents


There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review “CANADIAN ID CARD”

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Open chat
Chat On Whatsapp